6 Air Module
6.1 Regional and Local Air Management
6.1.18 Implementation Methods - Waste Management Process
188.8.131.52 Permitted Activity Rule – Waste Management Process
The discharge of contaminants into the air arising from the storage, transfer (excluding refuse transfer stations), treatment or disposal of liquid and solid waste is a permitted activity subject to the following conditions:
- The activity was lawfully established, except by way of a resource consent, before the date of notification of this Plan.
- Any change in the activity shall not increase the scale, frequency, intensity, nature or duration of any discharge to air compared to when the activity was established or authorised.
- The activity is not already restricted in Sections 3.5.5, 3.5.6, 3.5.7, 5.2.5, 5.2.6, 5.2.7, 5.2.8 or 6.1.12 of this Plan.
- The process does not involve the treatment of hazardous substances.
- As specified in Section 6.1.8 conditions a) to e) of this Plan.
- Consideration of district plan objectives, policies and rules with regard to waste management should also be made.
- Adverse effects from these activity should not occur if they are managed in accordance with good practice.
- Rule 184.108.40.206 part 27 addresses refuse transfer stations.
- If any of the these conditions are not complied with then the activity is a discretionary activity in accordance with Rule 220.127.116.11.
Explanation and Principal Reasons for Adopting Method 18.104.22.168
Rule 22.214.171.124 is restricted to activities lawfully established before the date of notification of this Plan and applies to waste management undertaken on both industrial or trade premises and non-industrial or trade premises. Examples of activities permitted by this Rule include municipal sewage treatment plants, trade waste, waste transfer stations, oxidation ponds, and waste from intensive indoor farms. The Rule permits the discharges only to the extent that they remain at the same or lesser scale and of a similar nature to that authorised at the date of notification of this Plan.
This Rule does not apply if the discharge to air is already addressed in other rules in this Plan.
This Rule also does not apply if the activity has already been authorised by a resource consent at the date of notification of this Plan.