White bryony is a pest plant under our Regional Pest Management Strategy. However, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is the lead agency in its management and Waikato Regional Council has been managing its control under contract to
White bryony is classified by MPI as an 'Unwanted Organism' meaning MPI aims to eradicate it from New Zealand due to its potentially significant impact on our economic, environment, social and cultural values.
White bryony has a very limited distribution in New Zealand. It is present in the Manawatu region and the Waikato region. In the Waikato region white bryony is only known to be present in small amounts at Aria and Mokauiti.
What should I do if I find white bryony?
You can help us get rid of white bryony. If you have seen it or suspect you have seen it, please contact:
Manawatu - Department of Conservation, Magaweka Field Centre Tim Gilbertson – 06 388 2031
Waikato - Waikato Regional Council, Chris Hale – 0800 246 732 (0800 BIOSECURITY)
In all other regions - MPI hotline – 0800 80 99 66
For more information visit www.biosecurity.govt.nz
For further information and advice contact your local Biosecurity Plant Pest Contractor.
- Visit our Waikato Regional Pest Management Strategy.
- What makes a pest a pest? - A guide to Waikato's pest management future'. Download, order or pick up for free from our offices.
- 'Plant me instead - Plants to use in place of common pest plants'. Pick up or order for free from our offices.
- Download the National Pest Plant Accord.
- 'Poisonous plants and fungi in New Zealand - A guide for parents, schools and child minders'. Pick up or order for $15 from our offices.